The Austrian Institute of Technology is Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes it a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. The Center for Health & Bioresources in Vienna invites applications for a: PhD Thesis “Extracellular Vesicles and the Blood-Brain Barrier”
- You work on the role of biological barriers in health and disease with a focus on the blood-brain barrier and the role of extracellular vesicles (EVs).
- You elucidate the molecular mechanisms of EVs uptake by recipient cells, intracellular processing, and release of vesicles on the opposed side of the barrier.
- You investigate the observed tropism of EVs, particularly of exosomes, i.e. whether targeting for transcytosis of vesicles is determined by their cellular origin.
- You combine high-throughput screening methods and cell culture models to evaluate the interaction between EVs and the blood-brain barrier.
- You implement novel methods to follow the intracellular fate of EVs.
- You study EV transport under conditions of ischemia
- You support and supervise master students in the lab, write conference contributions and publish results in leading scientific journals.
- You unravel the role and transport mechanisms of extracellular vesicles at the blood-brain barrier in health and disease using e.g. cutting edge hiPSC-based cell models and microscopic techniques.
- You are integrated in an interdisciplinary team evaluating in vitro/in vivo correlations.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner*:
- MSc. in life sciences, e.g. molecular biology, molecular medicine, biotechnology, meurosciences, pharmaceutical sciences or a related field.
- Experimental skills in cell culture (preferentially endothelial, epithelial, hiPS cells, fibroblasts), preoteinchemistry and molecular biology
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Strong sense for responsibility and team spirit