Scientist I or II
This position is located in Rockville, MD and has flexibility regarding its level; the offered position will be commensurate with the qualifications of the candidate.
This position is part of a team that develops novel technologies and platforms to further Lonza’s leadership in cell therapy manufacturing and characterization. Specifically, one key area of focus for this role will be to define Lonza’s strategy and develop capabilities and platforms for manufacturing and characterizing exosomes. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in cell culture, specifically mammalian cell culture (MSCs,iPSCs, T/NK cells, other primary cells, etc.) and significant experience with the generation, isolation and characterization of exosomes. Knowledge of established analytical methods for cell characterization such as fluorescent microscopy, FACS, cell counting. She/he should be able to independently define and execute R&D projects through well designed experiments with minimal supervision. This is a hands on research job (75% lab based) where the scientist will be responsible for defining project targets, designing and executing experiments, analyzing data and drawing conclusions/next steps.
- Define, plan and successfully execute of R&D projects against aggressive timelines.
- Investigate and clearly articulate the value proposition of assigned projects.
- Define project targets in close collaboration with CGT operations and commercial teams.
- Develop sound project and experimental plans proactively seeking input from technical stakeholders. Translate plans to aggressive but achievable timelines while proactively managing technical and timeline risks.
- Execute experiments, drive problem solving and deliver robust technologies and processes into operations. Work closely with operations and early clients to validate performance in CDMO processes.
- Persevere to identify and remove roadblocks to timely and successful delivery with management support.
- Independently and objectively analyze experimental data, organize technical reviews to communicate progress and findings within the Lonza technical and commercial teams and present progress to senior management. Analysis includes drawing conclusions within the wider group and department context, hypothesizing mechanistic explanations of observed results, and proposing next steps.
- Creatively tackle technical challenges looking for solutions within and outside Lonza though an unconstrained approach. Evaluate feasibility of identified approaches and propose viable solutions for management review.
- Grow Lonza’s knowledge of the current state of the art for assigned areas and keep abreast of new technological developments. Build internal and external network and serve as/develop into Lonza SME for those areas. Support evaluations of new technologies and development of R&D strategy.
- Develop strong collaborative working relationships within and across R&D, Operations and the commercial functions. Actively solicit technical input and conversely provide input into other projects to generate discussion and a sense of shared success.
- Write and revise technical documents, maintain accurate and up to date records, including appropriate lab notebook recordings, lab SOPs, test protocols and reports.
- Manage external academic and industry collaborations as needed.
- Train new hires, interns, and collaborators (both internal and external) on relevant technologies and platform.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Strong knowledge of cell biology and basic biochemistry; experience with a variety of cell culture systems (adherent and suspension, bioreactor operation)
- Prior experience working with extracellular vesicles/exosomes and strong knowledge and understanding of exosome characterization tools and techniques.
- Background in bioprocess engineering, especially bioreactors and downstream techniques
- Expertise in materials/substrates/scaffolds for human cell culture
- Proficient in data analysis/statistics
- Knowledge of and experience with stem cell culture (MSC, PSC), immune cell culture (T-cells, NK cells, dendritic cells) techniques and media requirements
- Knowledge of and experience with developmental biology/regenerative medicine
- Experience working with closed cell culture and downstream processing systems
- Aseptic technique / work with BSC level 2
- Human cell culture and isolation
- Excellent oral/written/presentation communication skills; strong work ethic; delegating skills; ability to perform in a team setting
- Exosome isolation and analysis
- Bioreactor operation
- Design of Experiment
- Bioprocess scale-up
- Assay development (detection assays, functional assays)
- Automation (liquid handlers, robots, control systems)
- Continuous processing (e.g. separation)
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.