The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park Campus is seeking a Laboratory Research Specialist to join our lab researching bacterial extracellular vesicles and their role in women’s health outcomes, as well as their potential use as therapeutic carriers. The primary duty of this position will be assisting graduate researchers in their experiments. This includes inventory management, cell culture, and animal work. The position also includes participating in supervised research, executing routine molecular and immunohistochemical assays, and troubleshooting protocols. Additional responsibilities include general lab support activities and assisting graduate and post-doctoral researchers as needed. Opportunities to take on independent projects, participate in presentations, and learn new laboratory techniques exist for the motivated researcher!
- Colony management including breeding, weaning and genotyping of transgenic colonies.
- Maintain bacterial and mammalian cultures.
- Routine laboratory procedures such as DNA/RNA extractions, gel electrophoresis, and PCR.
- Assist with day-to-day lab maintenance: stocking supplies, prepping solutions, updating laboratory inventory records, etc.
- Participate in supervised research experiments as needed, including assisting with mouse surgery, dissections, tissue collection and processing, behavior studies, and molecular analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Biology, or related field required.
- Preference is given to applicants with 1-year research experience working with rodents in a laboratory setting.