Codiak BioSciences is a venture-backed start-up dedicated to harnessing the power of exosomes as both therapeutics and diagnostics in cancer and other diseases. Codiak aims to become the world’s leading company in developing exosomes to create life-changing therapies, and has generated, acquired and licensed foundational intellectual property to enable the development of products that capitalize on the unique biology of exosomes. We raised another $76M in November 2017 bringing our total raised in two years to $168M.
It’s an exciting time at Codiak and looking to the future, the Company plans to continue to build on the growth they’ve had in the first two years. The vision is to build a successful R&D organization within a large biotech, and Codiak is well poised with all the right components to do so. Codiak is backed by blue-chip investors and top-notch science from some of the world’s leading academic institutions. This is a truly unique and tremendous opportunity to join a growing biotech Company.
We are seeking an experienced Principal Scientist, Oncology Cell Biology
Reporting to the VP, Biology and Translation Science, the successful candidate will be involved in the identification and characterization of novel exosome based therapeutics that specifically modulate the function of key oncogenic drivers in the cellular microenvironment in oncology. You will be responsible for executing and reporting the results of experiments to support projects from target identification and validation through to clinical candidate selection, as well as supporting the development and clinical pipelines with basic biology and pharmacology studies.
The incumbent will be responsible for cell based assay development that supports the company portfolio of early stage oncology. The role calls for close collaboration with Early Discovery Research groups, in vivo pharmacology and other analytical and CMC functions, as well as with colleagues in other departments within the Company. The individual will be responsible for planning and execution for studies responsible to support the filing of IND/CTA for these novel exosome therapeutic candidates.
You will use a wide range of advanced methodologies to probe mechanisms and test drugs, primarily through in vitro and ex vivo cell-based assays. The position is a hands-on, laboratory-based role and may have direct reports. In this role, the individual will have the opportunity to contribute directly to efforts that support the company’s portfolio of preclinical and clinical- stage therapeutics.
As part of a start-up, the candidate will be uniquely exposed to the full range of company activities.
In this role, you will:
- Lead design, characterization, and optimization of cell-based in vitro pharmacology;characterization of drug candidates;
- models in primary cells and cell lines, to be used in screening and in vitro
- Ensure timely completion and delivery of analytical results and documentation (technical reports, SOPs, etc.) to support product development during clinical phases;
- Work with an interdisciplinary research team to advance therapeutic candidates in oncology and author study reports necessary to support IND/CTA filing
- Take leadership role contributing to scientific literature. Review literature and engage with outside therapeutic area experts to identify and prioritize new differentiated target opportunities suitable for the exosome therapeutics;
- The role may have line management responsibilities of research associates and/or scientists, which requires a strong commitment to mentoring staff and promoting their individual growth and development;
- Other duties as required.
- PhD in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or a related discipline with a minimum of 5 years of industry experience;
- Leadership experience in the use of innovative cellular methods to aid drug discovery efforts and a proven track record of critical contributions to drug development pipelines in oncology;
- Extensive hands-on laboratory experience in developing and using state-of-the-art cell biology tools (incl but not limited to cell-based reporter systems, CRISPR, RNAi, lentiviral systems) to identify and validate novel drugs candidates in primary human and/or mouse immune cells (RNAseq experience preferred);
- Skilled in standard molecular biology techniques (i.e. Western blot analyses, ELISAs, quantitative PCR, etc);
- Proficiency in the independent design and analysis of experiments (both in vitro and in vivo);
- Thorough understanding of drug discovery and development from initiation to IND preparation;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across company, academic, and collaborator settings;
- Curiosity, flexibility, and a willingness to explore new biology;
- Ability to succeed in a small, interactive, ambitious, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial drug discovery environment;
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral;
- Ability to organize and communicate complex data sets in a clear and concise manner;
- Significant understanding of data analysis, and assessment of reproducibility and reliability of experimental data;
- Experience authoring peer-reviewed scientific publications and / or presenting at scientific conferences, particularly in the field of oncology.
Our employees dedicate themselves to helping us achieve important goals. In return, we are committed to offering a compensation and benefits package that supports and rewards their contributions.
Founded in 2015, our culture is taking shape. By tapping into the unique talents of a varied pool of individuals, we can foster the kind of collaboration and innovation that yield truly exceptional work. Some of our guiding principles so far include:
- We make and keep commitments – to our Teammates and our Business Partners.
- We have clear, direct and respectful communication with everyone we interact with.
- We are all responsible for Innovation.
- We are a Team.
- We balance critical thinking with Execution.
- We care about our employee’s Professional and Personal Fulfillment.
Those interested in contributing to Codiak BioSciences’ development of the nascent and exciting field of exosome technology are invited to email their CV with Position Reference Number above and any relevant credentials.
Click here to Apply: