Location: San Diego, CA
Posted Date: 8/10/2016
Position Type: Full time
Required Education: Bachelors Degree
Areas of Expertise Desired: Biochemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Cell Biology,
Intrexon’s Human Therapeutics Division (HTD) is seeking a highly motivated biochemist/cell biologist to support ongoing projects and further develop products using exosome platforms and technologies. The Research Associate (level determined by candidate) position will use Intrexon’s cutting edge technologies for developing a novel platform using exosomes as a tissue specific delivery system. Appropriate candidates will have experience with the establishment of exosome isolation and engineering. This position will contribute to the characterization of exosomes, including process development, potency assays, and assessing the function of these exosomes using high throughput image-based screening. Ideal candidates will have experience with peptide-based targeting methods and protein engineering. The Research Associate will be expected to complete scientific and technical tasks on aggressive timelines and to work as part of a team on varied tasks with changing priorities. Position requires excellent communication and presentation skills, a documented ability to troubleshoot technical issues, an ability to plan and carry out experiments independently, and to work with complex instrumentation and software.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for process development in the generation, isolation, and identification of exosomes.
• Develop and execute high throughput screens to assess functionality and differentiation ability of exosomes and engineered exosomes.
• Contribute to the development of novel cellular assays.
• Set up and perform immunocytochemical analysis.
• Responsible for timely documentation of laboratory work.
• Maintain knowledge of current cell biology literature.
• Accurately perform calculations necessary for laboratory work and analysis of experimental results.
• Responsible for performing basic troubleshooting.
• Evaluate data and provide succinct and clear reports that can be shared and transferred to and from cross-functional teams; responsible for clear communication in both written and oral forms.
• Pay attention to detail, strictly adhere to safety protocols, and use knowledge of basic laboratory procedures to advance projects under rapidly shifting priorities and timelines.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
• B.S. in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Stem Cell science, Molecular Biology or related fields.
• Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience with B.S., five (5) years post M.S.; relevant industry experience preferred.
• Extensive expertise in basic biochemistry and mammalian cell culture techniques, experience with primary cell culture and generation of cell lines is a plus.
• Working experience with exosome isolation methods, loading of exosomes, generation of cell lines for modified exosome generation, and development of reporter cell lines is preferred.
• Hands-on experience in PCR, cloning, transfection, lentivector design, lentiviral transduction, protein engineering, SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, and ELISA.
• Hands-on experience with microscopy, fluorescent assays, and related instrumentation.
• Strong writing and experimental documentation skills.
• Experience using high-content, image-based software analysis systems is a plus.
• Experience in FACS is a plus.
Desired Key Competencies
• Ability to understand and execute on the company’s mission and values.
• Maintain a high degree of ethical standard and trustworthiness.
• Ability to think and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
• Able to reach rational conclusions through complex processing of information.
• Fosters innovation through creative solutions.
• Successful at communicating in both oral and written forms.
• Well organized and capable of clear communication through technology (i.e. Outlook, PowerPoint, and other programs used to create and distribute reports and key information).
• Effective organization and implementation of group projects.
• Up-to-date knowledge on industry current events.
• Maintain a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
• Energized by accomplishments and excellence in the workplace.
• Capable of high performance in independent work as well as in team setting.