Astellas is announcing a Scientist I, Exosome Biology opportunity at their Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) site in Westborough, MA.
We are seeking a hardworking scientist to join our regenerative medicine team and contribute to development of extracellular vesicle-based therapies for multiple therapeutic applications. The successful candidate will have a track record of success in a collaborative research environment with proficiency in mammalian cell culture, vesicle isolation methods, assays related to extracellular vesicle characterization, and other standard molecular and cell biology techniques. Experience with process development and large-scale manufacturing processes for biologics/nanoparticles, and familiarity with CMC environment a plus.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Participates in collaborative and independent experimental design.
- Performs and optimizes cell culture experiments in flasks or bioreactors for production of extracellular vesicles.
- Isolates extracellular vesicles using a variety of techniques to build on and improve existing processes for scalable EV production.
- Performs experiments for characterization and functional analysis of extracellular vesicles.
- Makes detailed observations, analyzes data, and interprets results.
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, quantitative analyses, and presentations as needed.
- Resolves technical problems in creative ways.
- Communicates with cross-functional teams to meet project goals.
- Prepares to transition from R&D to CMC work environment after one year to guide EV products to manufacturing setting.
- Ability to independently and efficiently perform laboratory experiments.
- Demonstrates understanding of project goals, experimental design, data analysis and troubleshooting.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates effective collaboration with other teams.
- Reports to Director of Research
- Communicates with members of multidisciplinary teams
- PhD with 0-3 years, MS with 6+ years, or BS with 8+ years relevant laboratory experience. Title will be commensurate with experience.
- Previous experience with extracellular vesicle isolation and characterization from cell culture media.
- Practical knowledge of methods for scalable vesicle isolation/purification and utility of EVs in therapeutic setting.
- Expertise in mammalian cell culture.
- Proficient in 2+ of the following skills: flow cytometry, cell imaging, confocal microscopy, chromatography separation techniques, Luminex or similar multi-plex assay platforms, western blot, cell or vesicle labeling techniques, ELISA, nanoparticle analysis, payload loading of vesicles or nanoparticles, cell line engineering.
- Skilled at troubleshooting technical challenges.
- Ability to participate in cross functional collaboration and demonstrate verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent work planning, organization and record keeping is crucial.
- Experience with operation of bioreactor cell culture scale up
- Manufacturing of exosomes, biologics, viruses, or nanoparticles
- High-resolution nanoscale flow cytometry
- Transfer of production processes and assays for GMP manufacturing