Work Schedule, Hours, FTE, Salary Range
- FTE: 1.0 FTE, Full Time
- Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
- Location: Portland, OR (South Waterfront)
- Job Type: Postdoctoral
Functions/Duties of Position
Are you a highly motivated, experienced researcher looking for post-doc opportunities? Oregon Health & Science University’s Knight Cancer Institute has newly created Postdoctoral Fellowship positions available in its Center for Early Detection Research (CEDR), working alongside Dr. Sadik Esener and other Knight Cancer Institute scientists to develop and execute major scientific project initiatives in the lab.
The CEDR research program is looking for expertise in technology or assay development, particularly in liquid biopsies and detection of circulating nucleotides, exosomes, and proteins. We are also looking for scientists who understand the mechanisms of disease progression from pre-malignancy to metastasis. Our goal is to rapidly develop novel assays, techniques, tests, and treatments through clinical trials or through corporate collaboration or creation of new companies.
The OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, CEDR, and the OHSU School of Medicine are highly collaborative, interdisciplinary, and highly translational environments, and these positions provide opportunities to work alongside a diverse team of highly respected scientists with diverse academic and industry backgrounds.
CEDR scientists work in funded project teams to identify priorities and projects, and internal funding is milestone driven. Project ideas and leadership can come from any level, including postdoctoral fellows. All CEDR assets are shared, including equipment, space, resources, and workload. We have a unique approach to the way we work, because we are looking for unique solutions to end cancer as we know it.
- MD, MD/ PhD, or PhD
- Minimum of 3 years as a graduate student
- Specialty: Molecular Biology, Computational Biology, Engineering or Chemistry
- Passion for science and inquiry
- Ability to synthesize one’s own results and others to formulate hypotheses
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks at one time
- Excellent communication, analytical and organizational skills: both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team while being collaborative in resolving problems
- Proficient with computers running Windows applications e.g. MS Excel, Outlook, Access, Word and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills both on the phone and in person
- Must possess energy and drive to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to maintain effective working relationships
- Able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
- Experience with assay or technology development for liquid biopsies
- Expertise in molecular biology, nanotechnology, genomics, computational biology, and engineering
- Experience with molecular biology techniques: sequencing, PCR, primer design, cell culture, transfections, transductions, Western blots, cloning
- Experience with data analysis