We are searching for a full-time post-doctoral research scientist in the Hansjörg Wyss Department of Plastic Surgery at the New York University Langone Medical Center. NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, and one of the nation’s premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education.
The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting independent biomedical research under the mentorship of Dr. Piul Rabbani, and must commit 2 years minimum. Applicants must be highly motivated, creative, passionate about research and have excellent organizational skills. You will have scientific and career development support, and access to all opportunities offered by NYU Langone Medical Center.
The applicant must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, take initiative, maintain accurate and highly-organized experimental records, and work efficiently and collaboratively as part of a team. Excellent work will lead to publications, and we will support the fellow to present in national conferences. We are a small team, and you will have leadership and mentoring roles yourself.
- Role of extracellular vesicles and particles (EVPs) in cell communication and disease pathogenesis, particularly during inflammation generation and resolution, such as in skin of patients with diabetes, venous insufficiency, and advanced age.
- Development of therapeutic approaches with allogeneic and engineered EVPs, in collaboration with bioengineering labs.
- EV-mediated paracrine communication among heterotypical cells in tissue repair and regeneration
- The work involves genetic models, molecular cloning, cellular and biochemical analysis, handling clinical tissue, in vivo imaging and microscopy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Formulation of hypotheses and generation of appropriate and specific study design
- Development and execution of experiments, independent analysis of data
- Development or adaptation of experimental methods
- Detailed cataloguing of study materials
- Analysis and interpretation of results in context of disease pathology
- Development and implementation of immunohistochemical/immunofluorescence/imaging techniques
- Application of molecular biology techniques
- Supervision, management and maintenance of transgenic colonies
- Writing, implementation and updating of pre-clinical protocols, in compliance with IACUC guidelines
- Collaboration with other research staff in lab
- Preparation of figures and schematic diagrams for publication and presentations
- Writing and editing of manuscripts and grant proposals with PI
- Maintain confidentiality of all research information.
- Professional development: Attend seminars, lectures and training courses to learn new skills and remain up to date.
- Provide guidance, cooperation, communication and relate well to all levels of NYU Langone Health Staff
Highly motivated and productive individual with a PhD, MD, MD/PhD, in Biomedical Sciences or a related field. The position requires a minimum 2-year commitment.
- Excellent knowledge of molecular biology and cell biology, including key and complex biological concepts (genes, pathways, and/or stem cells)
- Ability to think and work independently (for example, find papers relevant to the subject, assess, adapt and implement methods, and produce results)
- Experience in handling mice, mammalian cell culture, and molecular cloning, experience with immunofluorescent staining, imaging and flow cytometry (preferred)
- Must be detail-oriented, highly organized, able to handle multiple projects, take initiative, start and complete projects
- Ability to work with deadlines
- Must be able to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds
- Proficiency in basic computer skills, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign, ImageJ, MS Office, database management.
- Prior experience in writing and publishing peer-reviewed manuscripts preferred
- We highly appreciate any data visualization skills
Please email (1) a cover letter stating your specific interest in this position and relevant experience, (2) your detailed CV, and (3) names and contact information of at least three references.
Please send complete application to Dr. Piul Rabbani at firstname.lastname@example.org.